Skip to main content

Hidden In Plain Sight

I know what you're thinking: Really?  Another blog post about the tombstone you found laying on the side of the road?

Well, yes.  And it just keeps getting weirder.

As you may remember, last week I said I needed to get permission from the landowners to remove the stone from their property; assuming they didn't want to keep the tombstone.  I talked to my mom about this and she suggested that I check out the County Assessor's website, since they list who owns what property.  All of it is listed by address, and I didn't know the address.  To get a better idea of which plot of land it was, I opened up Google Maps and virtually strolled down the street.  The images were from a few years ago, so the lot I was looking for would look nothing like it does today.  I was trying to decide if this house was the right one or not, when suddenly I saw it.

Do you see it?
Let's take a closer look at the picture:

It's the tombstone!
As ridiculous as this is, it explains a few things.  First, I was wondering why it was in such good condition.  I had always assumed it was eaten by blackberries or buried in the backyard.  I honestly never thought that it was in the front of the house being used as a decorative fence post.  Secondly, this explains how it went unnoticed.  The two blank sides of the stone were faced outwards, with the chiseled sides facing a shrub.

The owner of the property is a development company.  So far I've emailed them and wrote them a strange letter which I left on the tombstone.  The cemetery I've been communicating with has told me they will find a place for the stone, so it has a place to go if I can acquire it.

On pink stationery, of course.


Side-by-side comparison

For those of you who read this blog, but have not yet dove into my fiction writing; here's a teaser from the chapter I just posted on Wattpad:

Charlotte pulled up the map on her watch and showed it to Charm.  “There’s an oasis right here, maybe a couple of hours away.  That’s where we’re heading.  Anyway, saying ’the neutral zone’ is really a misnomer, because there are many zones and all of them are different.”
“Why not just name them?” Charm started walking towards the entrance.
Charlotte followed her, “Because then there would be a government.”
“That makes zero sense,” Charm shook her head.
“One of my professors equated it to the difference between livestock and pets,” Charlotte rubbed the back of her neck, “Pets always have names.  Livestock might, but if they do, you’re running the risk of getting too attached.  Names have power.”

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s