Skip to main content

Questing, or a Failure to

I haven't mentioned the tombstone in a while, mainly because I'm really disappointed in myself.  I failed, epically.  Last time I went by the construction site, the stone was gone.  Yes, gone.  I'm about 95% certain that the property owner got sick of waiting for me to do something with it and threw it away.  5% of me thinks that the cemetery went and got it and that's why they never contacted me again.  Either way, my quest was a complete failure.

And I thought I was good at things like this.  I mean, if video games had any application to real life, this was my kind of thing.

One of my favorite video games is Legend of the Dragoon.  I only ever played this game through once, because it wasn't mine.  Heck, I've never even owned a Playstation.  Anyway, every time I mention this game to someone, I either get a glazed look or, "Are you sure it isn't 'Dragon'?" as a response.

I am positive it's not "Dragon."

It may have been a long time ago, but I was briefly obsessed with this game to the point of making my own Legend of the Dragoon coloring pages.

Yesterday on a whim, I searched Tumblr for Legend of the Dragoon, just to see what would come up.

My people!
 There's a whole fandom!  It's not just me!  And now I really want to play that game again, because I really don't remember most of it.

Games like these are what inspired me to start writing The Culling in the first place.  Actually, it was a specific iphone game called Summoners War.  I ended up uninstalling it because it took up too much space, but it got me thinking a lot about the Healer as an archetype.  The Healer is interesting because they tend to be really weak, sometimes to the point where it's frustrating.  You need them to keep everyone else alive, but they don't do much and always die during difficult battles.

Healers - can't live with them, can't live without them.

So the idea that the Healer is the main character seemed interesting.  Healers aren't usually the hero, they're just the support staff.

I've reformatted The Culling series so it's now one normal sized book with three sections.  I also added a prologue.  Now I know it would make sense to post a teaser from the chapter I just added to Wattpad (formerly ch 4, now ch 33), but I'm much more excited about sharing my brand new prologue:
It had happened slowly over time.  It wasn't that she was necessarily sad, just one day she stopped caring about work, hobbies, or even washing her hair.  A stillness filled her brain and time seemed to slow until she was almost unaware of its passing.  For over a year she just existed, living in her childhood bedroom at her parents’ house, staring blankly at movies with plots she couldn't follow.  
It was her mom who finally had enough.  Lord knows, she had tried.  Tried to get her daughter into therapy, tried to find her a job, tried to get her to volunteer, return to school, to do anything.  Her mom’s final act of desperation came through the mail, a cardboard box that made a satisfying thunk when turned on its side.  
Inside were two plastic boxes: a clear clamshell with a watch and a plastic game box with a desert scene on the front.  Underneath the boxes sat something that looked a little like a motorcycle helmet, covered with warning labels.  “NOT APPROVED FOR TREATMENT OF MENTAL ILLNESS OR CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY,” yelled one.  “MAY INCREASE THOUGHTS OF VIOLENCE,” declared another.  
Puzzled she turned the helmet over in her hands.  Perhaps her mother was also losing touch with reality.  Or perhaps this was one of those experimental therapies.  She lifted the helmet over her head, a final warning label catching her eye: “MAY RESULT IN FEELING ALIVE.”


Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s