Skip to main content

Dream: In the Half-Light

I have a lot of recurring dreams and I'm a semi-lucid dreamer.  Most of my recurring dreams are pretty harmless.  I dream about going to Disney Land periodically.  I visit that house with all the plants, or the one with the hidden room, or I crawl through a tight opening into an attic.  No biggie.

But sometimes, things get a little weird.  I stopped having the dream about carousel horses showing up in weird places, only to have that happen periodically in real life.  That still creeps me out (*spins a top*).  My dream of falling stopped, after I hit the ground.  Being fully aware that I was dreaming, I started wondering why I wasn't dead.  Apparently that's just not true.  You can fall in a dream, hit the ground, and it might not even hurt.

I swear I've seen a house in Seattle that has carousel horse lawn ornaments.
I asked my husband where it is so I could take a picture for this post and he has
no idea what I'm talking about.  So Pixabay it is. 


The recurring dream that I absolutely hate, is the one where a light goes out, usually in the bathroom, and I'm stuck in the half-light.  I hate this dream because it's incredibly frustrating.  I'm frustrated in the dream and frustrated when I wake up.  Now before you start thinking that I'm ridiculous (and I am), you have to understand that I am a changer of light bulbs.  One of my prior neighbors used to say that I was a "lighter of the lamps" which sounds much nicer, but really I am a Changer of Light Bulbs.  I like to keep things running.  I like well lit places.  I may not bring the light, but I will maintain it.  So, my new theory is that this dream goes against something intrinsic to my nature and that's why it's driving me crazy.

I have tried to resolve this dream before.  I tried getting a new light bulb, but dream land was plumb out of light bulbs.  I tried bringing a flashlight, but contrary to what Freddy Krueger would have you believe, bringing an object from one world to the other is much harder than it looks.  Eventually the dream went away, and I thought I was done with it.

Well, guess what?  That sucker is back with bells on.

I plan to ignore it this time.  I can live in the half-light.  It could be worse, right?  I could have the dream where a child throws a severed head at me on repeat instead.

On another topic entirely, I've been jotting down ideas for stories on my Tumblr.  Because I might actually use some of them at some point, I decided to consolidate them into a page on this here blog.  You can find them in the side bar under "Other Writing," or you can just click here.

Okay, teaser time:

He stood and took her hand, leading her down the aisle, then turning right and pulling her through a small door.  “Where-” was all she managed to get out before he shoved her against the wall, pressing his mouth to hers.  For a moment Charlotte was lost in the kiss, its rough urgency mirroring her own desire.  When she started to come back to her senses, she was suddenly aware of the lightswitch digging into her side and the pressure of Orville’s hands on her wrists.  
“Mmmph,” she said.
 Orville released her, a startled look on his face, “Sorry Lottie.  They said I’m supposed to be better.  I don’t know what just happened.”



Carousel Horse Image Link

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s