Skip to main content

The Sound of a Human Voice

One of the books I finished recently was Exploding the Phone by Phil Lapsley. It’s a book about phone phreaks, a topic I got interested in when I was toodling around a website on defunct computers. I learned some things I didn’t know; like how a large number of phreaks were blind, and how the first switchboard operators were teenage boys. But the thing that surprised me the most was that it’s very likely I’ve never used an analogue phone.

By the time I was old enough to remember talking on the phone, all the systems had been converted to digital. I know I’ve complained before, maybe even ranted, possibly even on this blog about how digital sound differs from voice. Sometimes I worry that society as a whole has forgotten what people actually sound like when they sing. It’s different, right? I’m not the only one who’s noticed this, yes? Listen to someone singing in a cathedral or what the heck, pull out your record player. My point is that the sound, the undigitized sound has a qualitative difference.

I have always had an aversion to talking on the phone, but now I wonder how much of that is me being weird and how much is hearing the digital flattening of the voices. I never realized how much this bothers me until I listened to a recording of a cochlear implant. My reaction was to burst into tears, which really surprised me. It wasn’t a reaction to the thought of using an assistive device or to deafness; it was simply the very mechanical sound that made me experience something like pain. To put a finer point on it: I don’t mind machines sounding like machines, but people should sound human.

At some point in time, technology will advance to the point that we can give people some sort of artificial eye (which sounds like a great idea for a sci-fi story).  I can't imagine what early versions of this would be like, because the pixelation would be extreme.  I'm not even sure if it would be as cohesive as a TRS-80 screen.  But think about it: in real life things flow, sound is liquid, vision blurs.  In this new reality, when things fail, they fall into cubes.  When things work, they will be sharper, more defined, more vivid than life.  Things we could not see or hear before are suddenly in our minds, shaping our dreams and distorting our memories.

I'm not saying we should go backwards, or even that you shouldn't call me on the phone.  Just the next time you are walking down the street and you hear someone sing, do me a favor: listen.

*********************
Hmm . . . I think that was somehow different than what I usually write here.

Anywho, I finished the next chapter of Egregious the other day an posted it.  Since I'm writing this as a serial, I feel like I have a lot of explaining to do, so the next chapter will be a little bit of back story with a little romance.

In the meantime, here's something to cool you down:

I took this picture last week, and now it's 85.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s