Skip to main content

Short Story: Koi Moon


“We used to think space was the final frontier.  We had no idea we were wrong,” the woman mumbled as the robot ran a brush through her thinning, white hair.  “I was young once, like you.  I’d like to think I was pretty.”

The robot paused, a hand half raised, “I am not a biological organism.  I do not age.  I am here to care for your physical and mental wellbeing.”

“Yes, yes, I’m not senile, you know.  I’m not some cyberspace junkie who can’t tell reality from virtual.  But I do like . . . oh, you wouldn’t tell on an old lady, would you?”

“I am required to report any instance whereby threat or implication, there is the possibility of real or imagined harm to a person or persons as defined by the law,” the robot set the brush on a tray and picked up a comb.

“Whatever that means,” the woman looked down at her swollen knuckles, “Sometimes I like to go into the backwash where no one knows I’m an eighty-year-old woman.  I suppose if you talk to me long enough, it becomes obvious, but still . . . they have the most wonderful parties there.”

“Mm-hm,” the robot began combing the smallest strands of hair together, forming a perfect French braid.

“Why the other day I went to this masked ball -”

“Masquerade.”

“Yes, and the room was incredible.  The floor was all marble, like a cut and polished stone.  The walls were a crimson crushed velvet, and the ceiling was painted with a mural like the Listerine Chapel.”

“Sistine Chapel.”

“Yes, that’s what I said,” the woman folded her hands, “You may need to get your ears checked.  Anyway, everyone wore masks of either a cat or a bird.  I chose a mask made of the most vibrant purple feathers, although I’ve never seen a bird that color in real life.  All the birds wore these evening gowns that puffed out so at the waist that it made my head look delicate and tiny, like a china doll.  My dress was purple, of course.  Each bird wore their hair pulled back with little pin-curls glued to the sides our heads.  It was just how it was done, you see.  And the cats had these suits with actual tails and silver-headed canes.  They, of course, wore derby hats and white, furry gloves.  Their masks were nowhere near as well crafted as the birds, but charming in a fashion.  I mean, they didn’t have rhinestones.”

“Didn’t they?” the robot pinned a strand of hair in place.  The old woman remained silent.  “They didn’t have rhinestones?” the robot prompted.

“What?” the woman jerked as if she had dozed off, “I think I need to take you into the repair shop.  Sometimes you say strange things.  Anyway, the dance floor was split by this river that flowed out of the room and into a fish pond with poi.  You should have seen the way the moon looked, glimmering in the surface, covered in orange and white fish.”

“Koi.”

“Yes, they were lovely to behold.  I was just tiring of watching them, thinking that I wanted to dance when this cat entered the room.   I know this sounds strange given the circumstances, but I could swear that I knew pur.  Fe walked across the room, hiss tail following pur like a cape, hiss derby like a crown.  Fe carried no cane and eyed me boldly as if fe recognized me.  Oh, I felt my heart had sprouted wings and was asserting its desire to live independently of me.”

“Then what happened?” the robot tied the end of the braid with an elastic.

“Well, fe marched right up to me!” the woman clutched her own hand, “I nearly jumped in the arms of the bird I had been talking to, so startled I was.  And twee didn’t help matters at all, twee just turned and left me standing there in front of this strange tabby, hiss tail swishing and hiss whiskers twitching like fe wanted to eat me up.  And fe doffed hiss hat, bending hiss furry legs, and fe says, ‘Would you like to dance?’”

The robot shook a bottle of hairspray, “And did you?”

“Oh, yes, how could I say no?  Oh, we danced and we laughed and we stared at the moon all covered with fish, and if fe suspected my age, fe said nothing.  Really, I supposed fe must have been from the same era; there was none of that culture-clash.  Anyway, as I said, I think I knew pur once when I was young and pretty like you.”

“I am not a biological organism.  I do not age.  I am here to care for your physical and mental wellbeing.”

“Yes, yes, I’m not senile, you know.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rather shockingly, 97 people have downloaded Murder In A Box.  Don't tell me you haven't yet?



I have started on a sequel to it, but I always feel like I don't know if I will finish a story until I get to chapter ten.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s