Skip to main content

Short Story: Secretar Needed



Miss Viola Brolly surveyed the office with dismay.  The desk was nearly invisible under a mound of unsorted correspondence, a typewriter waved a single sheet of bond like a plea for mercy, and books were stacked everywhere.  Everywhere that is, except the bookshelves, and Brolly didn’t even want to know what was on those shelves.  Removing her coat, she hung it on one of the two coat racks.  Why such a small operation required two, was beyond her.  She pulled the advertisement from her smart patent bag, smoothing the edges of the newsprint.

SECRETAR NEEDED
TYPE STENO $3
JOHNS CO
1100 4TH FL STE D

Brolly squinted at the frosted glass window. Had it really said “D?”  Perhaps she had gone into the wrong suite by mistake.  Perhaps there was a tidier and altogether less musty workplace that needed her skills.

“Oh, hello.  I didn’t hear you come in,” the man wore a suit that ran short in the arms.

“No doubt they’ve been turned a time or three,” she thought, her eyes roaming over the ink stains on his lapels, then halting on his straw hat.  “Straw?  In the winter?  How gauche.  And to wear it inside.  He is either very forgetful or fancies himself a genius,” she shuddered at her own thoughts.

“You are here about the Secretar job?” he looked so eager, she could only nod.  “Don’t let this room dismay you, Miss___?”

“Brolly,” she ventured, “Am I permitted to organize and dust?”

His face lit up like a ten-stick candelabra, “Yes, yes, move things to where I cannot find them.”

“And you will not holler and throw things about?”  As if she had been heard, there was a thump and a dull snap from the back room.  “Mr. Johns?” it took her a moment to spot him.  He was crouched behind the desk, knees drawn into his chest like a child.

Behind her, a man came through the door, “Anything for me in the mail?”

Brolly turned, then startled.  It was as if Mr. Johns had himself taken a turn in the copy press, for there he stood outside his office door, and there he crouched behind the secretar desk.

“Very sorry Brolly, forgot the hat,” he removed it, clasping it to his breast, “I’ll be out for a bit.  Just put the mail on my desk.”  He rattled through the door, clipping it shut behind him.  Through the figured glass, Brolly could just make out his silhouette.  Then there were footsteps, and the doppelgänger was gone.

“Mr. Johns, what is the meaning of this?”  Brolly removed her coat from the rack.

“Wait, wait,” Johns sprung up out of his crouch, “There are rules against meeting oneself.”

“Meeting oneself!” Brolly stuck an arm in her sleeve with indignation.

“It can cause fissures in the fabric of space-time.  There’s a rule against that too.”

“That’s what you do then?” Brolly paused, her coat still half-on, “You’re in textiles?”

Johns blinked at her, “Textiles?  I mean yes, textiles.”

“And you and your facsimile don’t holler and throw things about?”

“I promise you Brolly, I shall treat you like a queen,” Johns gushed, “A queen who takes dictation, of course.”

Brolly looked at Johns, then removed her coat.  Perching on the edge of the hard-backed chair, she straightened her back and rested her fingers on the typewriter’s keys.  “Go ahea - wait,” there was something already typed on the bond, and she advanced the paper.

“attn time traveler,” was typed across the sheet.  As she rolled the paper out, another message appeared at the bottom, the letters misaligned and sliding off into the right margin, “quit while you can.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I came across a list of some of the Most Loved Books (or so the article said).  I decided to read some of the lesser read of the most loved, and started with Cold Comfort FarmI was sure that I'd never read this book before, up until the part about the scrub brush.  I very clearly remembered being obsessed with this subplot and only finishing the book because I had to know if the scrub brush ever got used.  It took me a while before the rest came back to me.

Oh.  I hated this book. 

I especially hated passages like this:
“For it is a peculiarity of persons who lead rich, emotional lives, and who (as the saying is) live intensely and with a wild poetry, that they read all kind of meanings into comparatively simple actions, especially the actions of other people who do not live intensely and with a wild poetry. Thus you may find them weeping passionately on their bed, and be told that you - you alone - are the cause because you said that awful thing to them at lunch. Or they wonder why you like going to concerts; there must be more to it than meets the eye.”
-Stella Gibbons
And now, however many years later, I still really want to know if that scrub brush ever got used.  I also don't dislike the book.  It's funny.  I mean, if one has to be in a book, it might as well be a comedy.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s