Skip to main content

Yellow Jackets

Yellow jacket makes them sound like the gentlemen of wasps, as if they buzz around in little top hats, waving miniature canes. 

These wasps are no gentlemen.

Honestly, we've had them around our yard for years.  We have flowers blooming from spring until fall, and with that comes bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds.  They usually buzz us when we're eating outside, completely unaffected by the citronella candle.

A butterfly on our hydrangea tree

Then I stepped in their nest.  I was trying to trim a blackberry bush that was growing in an ever-expanding patch of Saint John's Wort.  I hate doing this because I can't see where I'm putting my feet, and in this case, one of my legs went straight down into a hole.

"That's weird," I said, pulling my leg out.

"What's weird?" asked my son.  He and his sister were supposed to be playing in the backyard, but for some reason watching me do yard work was more exciting.  It was about to get reeeeeal exciting.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz . . . a cloud of wasps poured out of the hole, and they were mad.

"Run!" I sprinted towards the house, followed closely by my children and a pack of yellow jackets.

Remember what I said about the backyard?  We had come out the back door and the front door was locked.  I've always had nightmares that involve being chased and not being able to get a door open fast enough, and now, the nightmare was real.  An eternity later, I unlocked the door and we ran in the house, slamming the door shut behind us.

If someone had asked me if I could swat a wasp out of the air, onto the floor and stomp on it, I would, well, I would laugh at them.  My kinesthetic IQ has never been that great.  I guess getting chased by yellow jackets unlocked some long-latent warrior gene, because I ended up killing eight wasps in that same manner. 

After that, we went into the bathroom.  I say we, because again, my kids were following me.  I started stripping, throwing my clothes into the shower and hosing them down.  Yellow jackets would periodically fly out of my clothes and I would swat them to the ground and stomp on them.  Once I got everything hosed down, I jumped in and rinsed off. 

Dripping wet (but still wearing clogs), we wander back in the living room.  "Everyone be quiet," I hold up a hand. 

Bzzzzzzzzzzz . . . 

"Into the bedroom!"

We ran to the bedroom, slamming the door behind us.  I shoved a towel under the crack in the door, because obviously, wasps are magic, and can fly under doors.  Calling my husband, I whimpered into the phone, "It's the bees!  They have us trapped!"

"Uh," he knocks on the door, "I don't see any bees."

I creep out of the room, "There . . . and there!"  There were two left.  Two terrified wasps clinging to the windows.

All in all, each of the kids had one bite.  I was only bitten three times, mostly because I'm always cold, so I was dressed for winter.  Explaining it to my children, however, was another thing. 

"Why did they attack us?" My son is baffled.

"I stepped on their house.  It scared them.  What happens when someone is scared?"

"They lash out." 

Smart kid  I honestly wonder what would change if all acts of aggression were viewed this way.  What if someone hit someone and we deemed them a coward?  It's an interesting thought.  I can tell you that I was acting out of fear when I killed the wasps.  I'm the sort of person who prefers to put insects outside instead of squishing them.  So what got into me?  Fear.  Pain.  The need to protect my children and me.

When afraid, the yellow jacket ain't no gentleman, but then again, when afraid, I ain't no lady.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s