Skip to main content

The Murder of a Mall

Now I know people love stories of dead or dying malls, I mean, I do too.  Empty institutional architecture puts the honey on my peanut butter toast.  But there's a difference between stores fleeing a mall because there are no patrons and stores fleeing a mall because someone’s gonna drop an ice rink on it.

And that, my friend, is the story of Northgate Mall.

The white space is exactly that; empty.


I went there last week to eat belt sushi and made a disquieting discovery: The center of the mall has been walled off.  The food court end of the mall was surprisingly busy for a Friday mid-day, but the other end was pretty dead.  Oddly, there was at least one mall-walker and I could not figure out for the life of me how she was going to walk the mall.  Jump over the barrier and power walk through the vacant center?  Or maybe she was gonna do what I did, and pop in different entrances whack-a-mole style until she found something other than a wall.



I wasn't kidding about the wall
The black at the bottom is a plywood barrier.

Nordstrom was the only thing open in the center section, and they were selling off their fixtures.  By fixtures, I mean some really nice furniture, cash registers, and some mannequins doing inappropriate things.  Then I started wondering if the woman at the sole remaining counter had arranged them in a fit of bitterness.  After dressing and caring for them all these years, they were now being sold for a partly $95.

Humans who have turned into mannequins.

”Mom?” my son sounded concerned, ”Why do some people turn into mannequins?”

”Well, according to the Twilight Zone . . .”  (Not actually what I said.  He now knows  this is not possible.)

I’m oddly sad about the death/upgrade of this mall.  This was the place I taught my babies to walk with me instead of wandering off.  It’s where they learned not to turn on fire hoses, even if they look like steering wheels.  I really hope, even though I’m not hopeful, that this is just a reinvention and not a cold-blooded murder.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s