Skip to main content

Short Story:Bread for Soldiers


All windows had to be blacked out.

I’m not really sure why, but for me, that was the tipping point. “Why?” I asked Charles as he painted the living room window with a brush.

“We’re at war.”

“Yes, but no one has attacked us from the sky,” I pointed at the blue-grey strip at the top.  It was empty and silent, the dull roar and seagull silhouettes of airplanes only a memory.

Charles sighed, and I knew what he was thinking before he even opened his mouth.  “It’s the law,” he set his brush on the edge of the can, “It’s for safety.”

“I’m not sure I believe it.  Besides, we can’t see the roses.  They were just about to bloom and we’re not supposed to go outside.”

“You can go outside,” he picked up his brush, “as long as you’re engaged in purposeful business.”

“Picking roses is not purposeful business,” I turned away from him.  Every inch of me longed to speak to someone who would understand, but trivial use of the phone was forbidden.  The lines needed to be kept clear for emergencies and something about spies.

“What was it about spies?” I walked into my room, picking up a leather journal.  Flipping through the pages, I stopped at last Monday’s entry, “These spies are listening to Muriel talk about her gallstones, and that is a national secret.”  I giggled, glad that myself of last Monday sensed the absurdity.  Tuesday was on the page facing it, the words smeared across the page.  Yes, Tuesday.  Tuesday was the worst day.

A neighbor, whose name I didn’t know broke a rule.  Somehow he bought a loaf of bread.  He offered a piece to another neighbor, and she went door to door, gathering an indignant flock until the whole street arrived at his door.  “How dare you,” her lips shook with self-righteousness, “bread is for soldiers.”

“And so are eggs, milk, and meat.  Who are these soldiers that they need so much?  That they need everything we used to have?” his eyes passed over each face, searching for sympathy.  I looked at the cracked cement under my sandals, hoping he wouldn’t sense the answers squeezing their way up my throat.

“They are fighting the war for us.  If they want bread, we need to give them bread.  As for who they are; my own son is fighting,” she held out a hand, “Give us the bread and we will take it to the base camp.”

It wouldn’t have been a problem if it ended there, but it didn’t.  Later that same day, signs appeared on that neighbor’s house.  “Enemy,” they read, “Coward.”  The worst was one I had to squint to read, “We don’t want you here.  You are not our neighbor.”

“What are you looking at?” Charles took my arm.

“The signs.  It just seems horrible,” tears pricked at my eyes.

“Look on the bright side, they’re not in our yard.”

This is why I can never really talk to Charles.  I can’t tell him my deepest thoughts or share my fears and anger.  Not only does he not understand, but he minimizes them until they are smaller than a crumb of bread.  Bread.  Bread is all I can think about.  Light and fluffy, maybe the tang of sourdough.

I flipped forward in the book, finally allowing myself to write down the things that had been tickling at the back of my mind for weeks.  “The soldier has become untouchable, a person to be revered.  He or she is to be given the best of food, only their children may receive education, and only they may be armed.  The rest of us are rapidly becoming an underclass.  Those who have jobs are considered lucky, even as their work hours increase and their work conditions degrade.”

Yes, these were the sort of words that tasted like honey but soured in the stomach.  As good as it felt to get it out, if anyone read it, I would become as despised as my neighbor.  Tearing the page from the binding, I folded it into quarters, sharpening the crease with my thumbnail.  I ripped it in four, then ripped each piece again, shredding until each scrap had no more than the loop of an e or the staccato cross of a t.

I put a scrap in my mouth and closed my eyes.  Toast, with butter that melts on top of it.  The scraping sound the knife makes.  I chewed, swallowed, then put another piece on my tongue.


---------------------------------------------------------------
Cross Posted to Deadlines for Writers
---------------------------------------------------------------

Not that's out of my system, I'll get back to writing my usual nonsense.  

I finished my rewrite of the novella formerly known as The Culling.  It's available for preorder, and I will probably run a sale once it actually releases, so stay tuned.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s