Skip to main content

Short Story: Interview with a Visionary

Image by Gentry from Pixabay
 

We thought the ends justified the means, and that was our mistake.  We never realized that the means colors the ends, that it shapes it like a surface can shape clay.  

Reducing carbon emissions.

What?  Oh, sorry, I thought you asked what our goal was.  All I can hear sometimes is the sound you hear out there.  It’s a rushing, hissing sound.  But you don’t care about that, you want to know about the children in that aircraft.

I told them not to use children.

Anyway, all of them wanted to go.  We didn’t force anyone.  All of them wanted to make the earth a better place.  They’re very environmental-minded.  And the thing with children is they’re smaller, so they can get inside the machinery to fix it.

The Blackbird, the fastest aircraft can circumnavigate the planet in six hours.  That’s the time it takes to go from New York to Seattle in a commercial airplane.  But it’s not designed to transport people or carry cargo.  Ours can.  And to prove it, we put cargo on there.  We can get around the world just as fast, and do it in a way that will have the airlines queuing.

Well, they might not now.  Now they probably won’t want to be associated with the people who lost a planeful of kids in the fourth dimension.

You ever watch the old black-and-whites where some kid just rolls off their bed into the fourth dimension?  Yeah, it’s not that easy.  I’d tell you how we do it, but then I’d have company lawyers jumping down my throat.  

The thing is, the black-and-whites weren’t entirely wrong about things.  It doesn’t look how they show it, but it is time like they say it is.

Yes, you have that right, it is time travel.  People have weird ideas about time travel.  They think these kids are going to end up with the dinosaurs or accidentally marry their grandparents or something.  That’s silly.

Here, I can tell you this, it’s like exploiting an echo.  You know how if you yell in a cathedral or even something as pedestrian as a parking garage, you hear yourself a second later?  Or like when you see a flash of lightning and then hear the thunder seconds later?  There is a gap between the seen, the physical, and the heard; between the waves of light and the waves of sound.  That’s all I can say.

Where are they?  That’s the wrong question.  “When are they?” is what we like to say.  

If we could bring them back, we would.

Yes, I suppose if we had to do it again, we would do it right.  The problem is, the progress we were making was too slow.  To change things, and to change them radically, we had to be willing to do things we would normally see as wrong.

I guess it took this for me to see that some things are always wrong no matter why you do them.  The ends don’t justify the means.  They never do.

Popular posts from this blog

Possibly the Last Short Story for Awhile

Something strange happened this month: I missed my 12 Short Stories deadline.   There have been many things changing in my life, and I’ve realized that there are a few things I will need to put less energy into.  That doesn’t mean I won’t write anymore, but that I may write less, or may just focus on longer pieces.  That being said, I did write something, it just didn’t meet the word count. So here is one more story.  It’s not a story about politics, it’s a story about human nature and human feelings. ——— The war is over, or at least that is what they say.  But how do you stop such a thing once it is started? Charles sighed when I asked him, “You act as if you don’t understand politics.” “I don’t,” I scratched a sliver of paint off the window with a razor, “I’m not even sure we should be doing this.” “They said we could remove the blackout paint,” Charles swiped an even curl of latex to the ground.  It fell among the budding roses, an artificial petal. “But there are still soldiers ove

Decay, Swine, and Beauty

We are staying at an estate that is like a beautiful woman with tangled hair.  Neglect is slowly wearing away at her, and you know that in ten years she will no longer be beautiful.  But right now, her unkemptness makes her eyes seem wild, and she is ablaze with a vibrancy no clipped hedge ever had. And there is a pig. I'm hoping to have a little more time to write while we're here.  The kids have attended one day of school this month thanks to the snow, and they had some fierce cabin fever.   I've been inching along with my mystery, but I really want to get sidetracked and write a little office romance for kicks.

Short Story: Distraction

It was an office, not unlike any of the other offices around the city. There were windows, visible to the lucky few cubes on the ends of the rows. Then there was Vera's cube, situated next to the row of manager's offices. Today she was lucky, someone had left their door open and precious slant of sunlight escaped, warming her back and washing out half of her computer screen. "I never realized your hair was red," Tracy dumped a large stack of paper on her desk, "The florescent lights make everything look so soupy." "What is that?" she pointed at the stack of paper. Tracy only offered compliments when he wanted a favor. "I need this entered," he smiled, a dimple appearing in his cheek. "You have a secretary," Vera waved a freckled hand to her left, "Ask him." "He's sick," Tracy gave her puppy-dog eyes, batting his long dark eyelashes. Vera sighed and fought back a smile. Tracy was such a s